Thursday, October 21, 2010

An Apple for the Teacher?

It's nearly that time of year again; there are only 9 more weeks until the end of school, so what SHOULD you get for your child's teacher, coach or other important influential person. Some of my friends have already had this discussion, their suggestions included baked goods, chocolates, journals and pens. The best received gifts I have given my children's teachers were jewellery and fruit baskets (the jewellery was handmade earrings for L's first grade teacher and the fruit baskets were for L and R's teachers a couple of years later.)

The earrings, were hand made by myself and in this case I had simply taken notice of the jewellery L's teacher wore for the couple of months prior to Christmas so I was aware of what styles and colours she liked. The fruit baskets were, for us (in the Fresh produce industry) a cheap option, I bought some baskets from a dollar shop and filled them with as many different coloured fruits (and vegetables) as I could gather, then threw in a 3pk each of Ferrero Rochers and Raffaelos for good measure.

When we gifted the fruit baskets to the teachers all three of them exclaimed how beautiful they were, how different and how glad they were that they weren't chocolate; it seems teachers get a lot of chocolate as gifts!

Personally I would not give baked goods as a gift to a teacher as I know D won't eat anything that has been cooked in any private kitchen he hasn't been in himself. I MAY purchase some baked goods from a friend's patisserie and present them in a nice basket or gift box (including a card from the patisserie to both support my friend's business and let the gift receiver know that they have been baked in a commercial kitchen.)

Teachers must get a lot of "same-ish" gifts for Christmas and although I'm sure they'd use a lot of pens, notebooks and other stationery over a year, there only so many "Best Teacher" mugs and ornaments a person can use, surely? So, I'm trying to think outside the box and will see if I can find some ideas to post in an upcoming list.


This list was inspired by the joy of learning from a great teacher.

Kindest Wishes,
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment