Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cookies...

"Dear Lord: The gods have been good to me. For the first time in my life, everything is absolutely perfect just the was it is. So here's the deal: You freeze everything the way it is, and I won't ask for anything more. If that is OK, please give me absolutely no sign. OK, deal. In gratitude, I present you this offering of cookies and milk. If you want me to eat them for you, give me no sign. Thy will be done." - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons.

I baked cookies this afternoon!

Hooray for yummy fresh cookies!

I know I said in my last post that I'm not a cook; strangely enough I look to be breaking all my own rules here. I just LOVE these cookies and every now and then I bake them, it just so happens that this time it was directly after I made pasta. Hold on to your seats though, the world might just stop in it's tracks, I actually made alterations to this recipe and didn't ruin it.

Remember though, how I said I need really clear instructions to be able to cook; I read somewhere earlier today to swap your trays of cookies top to bottom in the oven halfway through cooking to prevent them burning on the bottoms. Why didn't I think of that earlier?! Such a logical solution to the burnt cookie bottom problem, my brain obviously heard "cooking" and shut down.
Look at those nice edible cookie bottoms!



Here's the recipe for Choc Chip Rock Cakes.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups self raising flour
  • 2/3 cups of castor sugar
  • 125g (melted) butter
  • 250gm choc bits
  • 2 (beaten) eggs
  • 1tspn vanilla essence
  • 1tbspn milk
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180°.
  2. Combine dry ingredients, making a well in the centre.
  3. Add butter, eggs, milk and vanilla essence, stir gently.
  4. Place heaped tbspn drops of mixture on greased (or papered) trays.
  5. Bake for approximately 12 minutes. (Don't forget, swap the trays top to bottom after 6 minutes.)
  6. Stand for 5 minutes, then place on a cooling rack.

Notes:

  1. My eggs must've been bigger than "regular" so the mixture wasn't as dry as I thought it should be so I added some rolled oats, I made a double batch and probably added two cup of rolled oats.
  2. I used brown sugar instead of castor sugar; I like the "caramelly" flavour that brown sugar gives to baked goods. I'm not sure what the "right" substitution would be but I just did a straight substitution.
  3. I added cinnamon; I prefer the cookies cinnamon flavoured instead of plain vanilla, add 1tspn of cinnamon to the recipe above.
  4. 250gm is a LOT of choc chips for this recipe. You could easily use half the amount and still have more choc chips than you'd get in store bought cookies!
  5. You could easily substitute nuts for the choc chips if you're not a chocolate fan and still have a great tasting cookie.


Mmmm Cookies...



This list was inspired by yumminess!

Kindest Wishes, AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment