Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ink in Waiting...

There are two tattoos I've been tossing up over for a while now; one longer than the other.

  1. A flying pin-up girl. Not flying as in a flyer, pilot costume, faerie, etc but flying as in a person flying, without wings, like a trapeze artist mid-catch. I like the shape of the Virgin Blue pin-up girl "Virginia" for this idea she is not a very detailed little thing though so she'll need some work.
  2. A phoenix. For it's traditional symbolism; rebirth, beginning again. Over the past 10 years I've had to pick up and begin again more times than I'd like anyone to have to count, that's always hard to remember in bad times though so I'd like a visual reminder.
As I've thought about it more and more I realised that the reason for getting either of those tattoos was to remind myself that no matter what happens you can always start again and as long as you believe it to be so, that anything is possible.

I'd been thinking the past few days about how I could combine the two and mentioned to a friend the possibility of adding the wings of a phoenix to the pin-up. As I trawled through tattoo photos on facebook tonight I came across one of the album cover of Led Zeppelin's Swan Song. I'd never really thought about what that picture meant before but as soon as I saw it tonight I knew what it was "Icarus". Of course, Icarus had wings, until he got too close to the sun!

A little more trawling and I came up with some images that need some work to be combined but that I think will suit my idea if I can pull them together nicely.








I also stumbled upon these instructions to draw the Led Zeppelin illustration which should be helpful since I'm not a great drawer and people are the things I draw worst!~

Funny how things that are meant to be just seem to fall together of their own will.

This list was inspired by ink observations.

Kindest Wishes,
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment