Friday, November 19, 2010

What to Learn, What to Do...

I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about studying something and coming to absolutely no conclusions until this evening I had an epiphany of sorts. There is something I can study that should be useful wherever I decide to go career-wise in my future years.

So; I've decided, I'm going to undertake a course of management studies. Now; I have to decide (between now and the end of January) which course in particular I'll start with, whether I want to study full-time of part-time, day or evening and which electives to study. Oh, why is there never an easy option!?

I'm a good manager in many ways, great at motivating staff, team building, ensuring standards are met, etc not so great at disciplining staff 'though from what I hear that's something that a lot of people struggle with. I've never had a piece of paper saying that I can manage people, I have two pieces of paper; manual book keeping and MYOB but really, they're not worth the paper they're printed on (they were refresher-type courses.) I don't even have a Higher School Certificate so this course will give me my most valuable piece of paper either.


My starting point is to choose a course, my options are:
  1. Key Management Skills Set (Statement of Attainment)
  2. Frontline Management (Certificate IV)
  3. Business (Certificate IV)
  4. Small Business Management (Certificate IV)
  5. Business Diploma
  6. Management Diploma
I want to try to work out which path to take (probably starting with 1.) to cover the most electives possible and get the most out of the courses. There are a few electives common to all the courses so I could use RPL to complete the requirements of the courses I do towards the end of the journey.



This list was inspired by a desire to learn.

Kindest Wishes,
AJ

2 comments:

  1. Hey hun, I'd do the cert 4 in Business (I actually did this years ago, it was pretty easy) and then use that as credit towards the Diploma.

    Happy learning :)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to look more closely at what the difference is between Bus, Sml Bus and Mgmt and then again the differences between the Mgmt Dimpoma and Bus Diploma. I honestly don't really expect any of them to be a stretch more a refresher than anything and a nice piece of paper to show the job market, one day. ;)

    ReplyDelete